"Alex was such a gift to us during the birthing of our fourth son" (Sam, 2017)
A bit about me
Hey, I'm Alex. I live near Stroud, Gloucestershire with my husband, 3 kids and an assortment of much loved mutts and the odd pony.
I have given birth to three gorgeous kids and have four amazing step-children. I discovered my inner birth geek during my second pregnancy when I was supported and nurtured by an amazing birth worker.
My doula journey began when I trained with Michel Odent and Liliana Lammas on the Paramana Doula course in 2013. Michel Odent is a world renowned obstetrician who has, throughout his career, pioneered 'woman centred' maternity care. Liliana Lammas is an incredibly experienced doula.
I balance working as a doula with raising 3 kids, looking after our assortment of animals, riding my horse and hanging out with my husband and friends.
I became a doula because I believe that women should be nurtured and supported throughout pregnancy and birth, and their choices respected.
I cover all of Gloucestershire, Bristol, parts of Oxfordshire and Wiltshire.
- Womb yoga and Yoga nidra with Uma Dinsmore Tumi (Oct 2014)
- Heart womb workshop with Dominique Sakoilsky (Oct 2014)
- Supporting Every Birth with Michelle Every (June 2015)
- Motherwarming - Mothering the Mother (October 2015)
- Spinning Babies (April 2016)
- Practical Hypnosis for birth (Feb 2018)
- Closing the Bones ritual (November 2018)
See what the research says about doulas
Take a look at the latest research about the positive effects on labour of having continuous support.
- Cochrane review of the effects of continuous emotional support in labour. Also included in this article is research on the effects of early and prolonged skin to skin contact after birth.
- Huffington Post Article about a reduction in the likelihood of having a C-section if you have a doula
- Evidence Based Birth - How having a doula differs from other forms of support during labour and the impact doulas can have on a labour
Some useful sites for more information about positive birth
- Doula UK
- Paramana Doula - where I took some of my first steps in my journey to become a doula
- Association of Improving Midwifery Services
- Birthrights - an amazing charity supporting the rights of women in childbirth
- Homebirth UK
- Homebirthers and Hopefuls
- Positive Birth Movement
- Primal Health database - Michel Odent's research database for all things relating to the relationship between birth and health
If you would like more information about breastfeeding these organisations are the best place to start: